July Employee Spotlight - Ellen Barnes


Ellen Barnes - Administration Assistant

I was close to finishing university when I applied for RDT’s apprenticeship role. I was soon contacted and they asked if I would be willing to attend an interview. My issue at that moment was that I was still in Newcastle finishing my studies, so travelling down to Kent was difficult.

RDT were nice enough to work around my needs and we arranged a Skype interview. It went really well, and then after finishing university I was invited to the office for a second interview. I spent a few hours meeting people from all the departments that I would be working with and had the chance to really relax and be myself, which was great, and a few days later I had a call and was told that the job was mine!

A few weeks later it was my first day – I had a few butterflies! After my first visit to the offices I had been a bit overwhelmed by how ‘grown up’ the company seemed, and I was worried that my age and lack of experience would be a problem. But I was completely wrong!

Since the moment I stepped into the office, everyone at RDT has been really supportive. As the administration assistant, I’m here to assist all of the departments – particularly HR, marketing, finance and IT – in any administrative tasks they need help with.

I also cover reception a lot, which means that my role is always very varied, and I feel I am really gaining lots of valuable experience.

I am in my sixth week at RDT and I have already been involved in so many projects and individual tasks. For any graduates who are looking for work, I cannot recommend apprenticeships enough. Gaining a qualification is one thing, but experience comes with time, and a role like this, where I am able to work alongside so many different departments, is going to benefit me so much in the future.

I am now a valued part of a really exceptional team of people who support each other and work together to get results. And that’s exactly what I studied for.

No comments :

Post a Comment